The Art of Self-Directed Learning is a collection of 23 stories and insights that will help you become a more motivated and self-guided learner.
What It's About
Drawing on a decade of research, adventures, and interviews conducted by Blake Boles (author of College Without High School and Better Than College), this book will inspire you to craft your own unconventional education, no matter whether you're a young adult, recent graduate, parent, or simply someone who never wants to stop learning.
Each chapter is brief, story-oriented, and accompanied by an original line drawing, making The Art of Self-Directed Learning a great choice for readers and "non-readers" alike.
A Few of the Tips
- Self-directed learning starts with a dream to go farther, see more, and become more than others tell you is possible. But dreaming alone is not enough; you must fight to turn your dreams into reality.
- Self-discipline isn’t some universal attribute that you either have or don’t. It’s a product of matching your actions to the work that’s most important in your life.
- The Internet is the most powerful learning tool ever created. Use it early and often.
- To make your biggest dreams happen: embrace setbacks, take the dirty jobs when you must, and always work for yourself.
- Seek out the teachers, coaches, and mentors in life who prefer to teach you how to fish instead of simply giving you a fish.
- Stop focusing on the uncontrollable parts of your life—the nature, nurture, and luck factors—and start working hard on developing your growth mindset. That’s the true art of self-directed learning.